The Psychology of Crypto Scams: Why Smart People Still Get Caught

 

The Psychology of Crypto Scams: Why Smart People Still Get Caught

When people hear that someone has been scammed in cryptocurrency, they often imagine somebody who doesn't understand technology, clicked the wrong link, or got involved in something shady.

The truth is often very different.

I had been involved in crypto for nearly nine years when I got scammed.

I knew about phishing attacks. I knew about fake websites. I knew about dodgy projects and pump-and-dump schemes. I had spent years reading about security and warning others about scams.

I still got caught.

The scam wasn't technical.

The scammer created a fake account pretending to be someone I knew and trusted. We spoke. The conversation felt normal. Nothing seemed unusual. Everything looked legitimate.

Then I sent the Bitcoin.

The moment I pressed send, I knew something wasn't right.

That feeling is difficult to describe if you've never experienced it. It's a mixture of dread, disbelief, anger and embarrassment all arriving at exactly the same moment.

The loss was around $12,000 at the time. Today it would be worth considerably more.

For a while, I was angry with the scammer. Then I became angry with myself.

How could someone who knew so much about scams still fall for one?

The answer is simple.

Because scams don't attack your wallet.

They attack your psychology.

The Real Targets: Trust, Hope and Urgency

Most people think scammers are experts in technology.

The best scammers are experts in people.

They understand trust.

They understand urgency.

They understand greed.

Most importantly, they understand hope.

I wasn't dreaming about buying a sports car or showing off on social media. Like many people, I was hoping for financial freedom. I wanted my investments to generate enough income that I didn't have to rely entirely on wages.

That's what the scammer exploited.

Not my lack of knowledge.

My humanity.

When people hear the word greed, they often imagine someone being selfish. In reality, many victims are simply hoping for a better future. They want more security, more freedom, and fewer financial worries.

Scammers know that.

The Influencer Problem Nobody Talks About

One of the biggest issues in crypto isn't the technology.

It's incentives.

Many newcomers don't realise that some influencers are sponsored, monetised, paid through affiliate links, or already hold the assets they are promoting.

That doesn't automatically make them dishonest.

But it does mean viewers should understand that incentives exist.

I've watched countless people online claim incredible gains while leaving out the years of losses, mistakes, failed projects and lucky timing that got them there.

Many early investors made money because they entered the market at the right time during a powerful cycle.

That isn't the same thing as being a financial genius.

Unfortunately, many newcomers only see the success stories.

They don't see the graveyard of failed projects behind them.

Bitcoin Is Not the Same as Everything Else

One thing I often tell people is that there is a huge difference between Bitcoin and the thousands of cryptocurrencies that appeared after it.

When I first entered crypto, there were only a handful of projects worth talking about.

Today there are thousands.

Many exist for a short period, generate hype, and disappear.

That's why education matters.

Before anyone spends a pound on crypto, they should understand what they are buying and why it exists.

Most people spend more time researching a television than they do researching an investment.

That needs to change.

The Biggest Myth About Bitcoin

One of the biggest misconceptions I still hear is that Bitcoin is anonymous and hidden.

The reality is almost the opposite.

Transactions are recorded on a public blockchain where movement can be tracked and analysed.

People often assume cryptocurrency exists in the shadows.

In reality, many transactions are more visible than people realise.

The technology isn't nearly as secretive as popular culture makes it sound.

"I've Missed the Boat"

This is probably the most common thing I hear from ordinary people.

"I should have bought Bitcoin years ago."

"I've missed my chance."

"It's too expensive now."

Many don't realise that Bitcoin can be divided into tiny fractions.

They think they need to buy an entire Bitcoin.

More importantly, they become so focused on what they missed that they stop learning altogether.

Ironically, scammers often exploit this exact mindset.

They tell people they missed Bitcoin but can still catch "the next Bitcoin."

That promise has emptied countless wallets.

What I'd Tell a Friend Today

If a friend asked me about crypto today, I wouldn't promise riches.

I'd tell them to slow down.

Learn first.

Understand what you're buying.

Take profits when appropriate.

Avoid putting all your eggs in one basket.

Protect your assets.

Think in years, not weeks.

Most importantly, understand that crypto is not a get-rich-quick scheme.

If you're looking for overnight wealth, you're exactly the type of person scammers are searching for.

Final Thoughts

The biggest lesson I learned wasn't about Bitcoin.

It was about human nature.

People don't get scammed because they're stupid.

They get scammed because they're human.

Trust can be manipulated.

Hope can be exploited.

Urgency can cloud judgement.

The best investment you'll ever make isn't finding the next big cryptocurrency.

It's educating yourself about the pitfalls before chasing the highs.

Because in crypto, as in life, slowing down is often the fastest way to stay safe.

Comments